Water Utility Service and Maintenance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 Hours of Operation Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
 Emergency Telephone  After hours, weekends, holidays

To disconnect water service, contact the Water Utility.  For any billing changes, contact the Utility Billing Office at 755-3090.

Frozen Water Service
If your water service is frozen on the City main or street side of the stop box, Water Utility personnel will thaw the service to restore water service. The Water Utility replaces water meters damaged from freezing at the customer's expense. Call the Water Utility weekdays between during office hours. After hours, call the 24-Hour Emergency Number.

Call Diggers Hotline (1-800-242-8511) or the Water Utility to find water and sewer laterals locations.

Lead Services
For general information regarding lead in supply water, please click to view the Department of Natural Resources brochure "Lead in Drinking Water."  Click here (Service Type) for information explaining how to determine what type of pipe services your residence.

Private Lead Service Line Replacement Program
Click here (submittal form) to obtain a copy of the form that must be submitted by a licensed plumber/utility contractor to be considered for this program.  The program qualification information can be found by clicking here (qualification information).

RV/Mobile Home Users
You may dispose of wastes at the Wastewater Treatment Plant at 3300 Tripp Road, just east of Afton Road, weekdays between 7 a.m. and 2 p.m. Please call ahead prior to arriving at 755-3120.

Treatment plant personnel will assist you. A sample is not needed. You must have a 6-foot hose in order to reach the pit. There is a $10.00 charge. You may pay by check made payable to City of Janesville. 

Water Shut-Off
The Utility can shut off the water service in case of leaks until you have the chance to call a plumber.

Call the 24-Hour Emergency Number after hours.

Utility staff cannot fix private plumbing because they are not licensed plumbers. Private plumbing includes the water service from the curb to a residence and all internal piping/plumbing (with the exception of the water meter). Private plumbing is the property owner's responsibility to maintain.

Utility Billing
For questions or information about utility bills, please contact the
Utility Billing Office at 755-3090.

Water & Sewer Connection, Outside Janesville Limits
If you live outside city limits, you must annex (or agree to annex) your property to the City of Janesville to have sewer and water connection and service. Contact
Building and Development Services at 755-3060 if you are interested in annexation.

Well Abandonment
The City is required to monitor all water wells within Janesville. Unused wells must be abandoned. If you have a private well, please call the Water Utility. Property owners who properly abandon their wells may be eligible to receive a $250 rebate. Unused or improperly abandoned wells can be a direct channel to spread pollution throughout the underground aquifers from which Janesville pumps its water supply. Polluted groundwater is costly for everyone. You may keep your well if you obtain a permit and test the water to ensure it is safe. There is no charge for a well permit. 

For more information you may want to visit the Department of Natural Resources Website.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer