The City of Janesville, along with every other city in Wisconsin, is responsible for reducing stormwater runoff into local streams and rivers. The City of Janesville uses several different activities, including loose leaf pick up, to achieve this goal.
Loose Leaf Collection Dates: November 11 - 22, 2019
The loose leaf collection in Janesville is an intensive two week process that collects the majority of leaves throughout the City. The leaf collection process is not only a service to the citizens of Janesville, but also a needed activity to help the City be compliant with state and federal stormwater regulations.
2018 Leaf Collection Schedule by Address (2019 schedule coming soon!)
2018 Leaf Collection Schedule Map (2019 schedule coming soon!)
Dates listed are the earliest that collection crews will be in your area; however, delays may occur. If collection crews will be in your area on your trash collection day, please keep carts on the terrace or near the curb line in your driveway. Allow enough room for leaf collection crews to maneuver. Cars should remain off the street the day of pick up, as crews won't be able to gather leaves with vehicles in the way. Crews will only be on each street once over the course of pick up.
Tips To Improve Collection Process
By following the guidelines below, City of Janesville residents can help make the loose leaf collection process more efficient:
- Rake leaves loosely into the street gutter, but try to avoid blocking the storm sewer inlets to minimize the risk of street flooding.
- Please note: Citizens may not rake leaves into the street gutter before October 1 or after crews have passed the street.
- Mulch and place leaves on the terrace and not in the street up until a few days before your collection day. 1 - 2 days prior to your scheduled collection day, move the leaves into the street. Please ensure that the leaves are raked away from the gutter to keep leaves from moving back to the terrace as crews come by.
- Do not place large tree limbs, stumps, or any non-compostable material in the curb line.
- Please watch for children who may be playing in raked leaves.
- Do not park vehicles over dry leaves. When a vehicle's catalytic converter gets hot, it can ignite leaves.
- Cars should remain off the street the day of pick up, as crews won't be able to gather leaves with vehicles in the way. Crews will only be on each street once over the course of pick up.
- Street sweepers will follow a day or two behind leaf collection crews to clean up any debris left on the street, weather permitting.
Other Disposal Options
In the event that leaves cannot be collected due to unexpected circumstances or if additional leaf fall occurs after collection is complete, the following disposal options are available:
Janesville residents may dispose of leaves at the compost site.
Janesville residents may participate in the Bagged Yard Waste Collection program.
Leaves may be used as mulch in flower beds and/or around trees and shrubs.
Leaves may be home composted.
City code prohibits the burning of trash, grass, or leaves within the Janesville City Limits.
For questions or additional information about loose leaf collection, please contact the City Services Center at 755-3110.