For up-to-date information about COVID-19, visit 

Engineering Division FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How do I request a stop sign or other traffic control?
Traffic signals, stop signs, yield signs, and other traffic control devices are most effective when used in a systematic way and where certain minimum traffic volumes or other safety factors dictate their use.  Many factors, besides existing traffic volumes, may apply.  For more information, contact the Engineering Division at 755-3160.  Traffic Engineers will discuss your specific question or request with you and may provide additional information such as specific traffic counts or studies, or advise you how to initiate a request for a change.

Why can’t “walk” lights at crosswalks last long enough to cross a street?
Many citizens have expressed concern that the “walk” indication at signalized intersections does not give them enough time to cross the street safely.  The “walk” light is meant to indicate to pedestrians that it is okay to begin crossing the street.  The “walk” indication will not remain lit the entire time it takes someone to walk from one curb or island to another.  When the indication switches to a flashing “don’t walk”, pedestrians in the crosswalk should continue crossing until they reach a sidewalk or safety island.

The timing of the flashing “don’t walk” indication is designed to allow enough time for pedestrians to complete crossing at a normal pace; however, please do not begin crossing the street while “don’t walk” is flashing.  Pedestrians who are in the crosswalk during the flashing “don’t walk” phase have the right-of-way provided they began crossing during the “walk” phase.  Unfortunately, many motorists are impatient or unfamiliar with the law; thus, it is important to be alert and not assume that motor vehicles will yield to pedestrians.

In order to improve the efficiency of many signalized intersections, pushbuttons have been installed to activate the “walk” indication.  Pressing this button will not immediately activate the “walk” light, but eventually it will illuminate.

If you would like more information regarding pedestrian crossings, please contact Engineering at 755-3160.

Can I request a "Children at Play" sign for my neighborhood?
The City of Janesville Engineering Division frequently receives requests to install signs warning drivers of the possible presence of “Children at Play”. “Children at Play” signs tend to create a false sense of security for parents and children who believe the signs provide added protection. Federal guidelines suggest “the use of warning signs should be kept at a minimum as the unnecessary use of warning signs tends to breed disrespect for all signs.” One “Children at Play” sign would quickly lead to requests for signs all over because nearly every block has children living on it. Additionally, the signs are a direct and open suggestion to small children that playing in or beside the roadway is safe. The use of “Children at Play” and similar signs are not a recognized traffic control device by the State of Wisconsin or the Federal Highway Administration, and are not installed within the City of Janesville. However, specific warning signs for schools, playgrounds, parks, etc., are installed where clearly justified. For questions or more information, please call 755-3160.

How do I obtain more information regarding neighborhood traffic safety?
For a publication entitled "Improving Neighborhood Traffic Safety Frequently Asked Questions".  For more information, contact the Engineering Traffic Engineer at 755-3160. 

How do I report a vision obstruction?
Please call the Engineering Division at 755-3160 to report a vision problem at a street intersection that hinders a clear view and may be affecting the safety of the traveling public.

What streets in Janesville are considered "Truck Routes"?
Truck route map.  For more information, contact the Engineering Traffic Engineer at 755-3160.

What do I do if I receive a sidewalk repair notice?
Please read the notice carefully.  It should explain why we have sent it and what your options are.  The City has probably sent the notice in response to a citizen's complaint about bad sidewalks on your block.  Both the City and property owners have a responsibility to maintain public sidewalks in a safe condition to certain standards. Tripping on sidewalk edges or slipping on ice injures citizens every year.  The notice should have included a mail back postcard to fill out, sign, and return.  If you have any questions, you should contact the Engineering Division at 755-3160. 

How do I report a sidewalk that needs to be repaired?
Please contact the Engineering Division at 755-3160 if you notice a trip hazard on an existing sidewalk.

How do I request a new public sidewalk be installed?
The Engineering Division has a Pedestrian Transportation Corridor Plan (PTCP) in place to install approximately 5 miles of new sidewalk each year through 2017.  However, requests for sidewalks at locations not already addressed in the PTCP will be accepted.  Requests received by August 1 of a given year can be included in the follow year's sidewalk program if that particular location is approved by the City Council after a public hearing is held.  If approved by the Council, the cost of constructing the sidewalks are specially assessed against the abutting property owners. Each requested location of sidewalk is unique according to the City’s PTCP, and you should contact the Engineering Division at 755-3160 regarding the correct procedure for requesting a sidewalk at a particular location.

How do I know if I will be required to install new sidewalk? 
The Citywide PTCP (Pedestrian Transportation Corridor Plan) sidewalk map is posted on the City's website, at the Hedberg Public Library reference desk, and in the third floor lobby of City Hall. Contact Engineering at 755-3160 with questions.

How do I find out my lot dimensions? 
The following link to the City's public GIS will assist you in obtaining your lot dimensions.  Public GIS Site

Who do I contact with parking problems?
Please call the Engineering Division at 755-3160 for assistance by the Traffic Engineer regarding any parking concerns or problems.

How do I qualify to bid on public works contracts?
Public works contract bids are advertised in The Janesville Gazette, regulated by City ordinance.  Bid information is also picked up and advertised by The Daily Reporter and bid houses. Please contact the Engineering Division at 755-3160 for information on present and future public works contracts.  


Street Flooding Call Operations Division 755-3110 M-F 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, or Police Non-Emergency 757-2244 after 4:00 pm or weekends.
General Street Info Streets
Property corners and lines Building & Development Services, 755-3060
Purchasing Janesville maps Clerk-Treasurer’s Office, 755-3070
18 N. Jackson, Lobby Floor  
Reporting a low hanging tree Operations Division, 755-3110
Reporting a pothole Operations Division, 755-3110; or report online at
Reporting a street light or traffic signal outage Operations Division, 755-3110; or report online at
Sidewalks and terraces Engineering, 755-3160

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer