Building Division FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Do I need a building permit?

A building permit is needed for all new buildings, additions, or structural alterations to existing buildings. Structural alterations include repairs and any new wall or relocating a wall regardless of it being a load bearing wall or not. A permit is also needed for pools, decks and fences.

How long does it take to get a permit?

Permit applications which do not require a formal plan review may be issued at the Building & Development Services Division service counter while you wait.  Typically these types of residential permits are for minor alterations, fences, pools or decks.  Permits for new commercial and residential construction and additions require plan review time. Some alterations also require plan review time. This depends on a number of factors including use of the building, size of the building, and location of the alteration.  Please note that a permit cannot be issued without complete information.  Come prepared with required plans and documentation.

I need to talk to an inspector. When are they available?

Inspection staff are available weekdays between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The amount of time inspectors spend in the office is offset by the number of inspections that need to be done on any given day. Most inspectors are available at the beginning of the day and shortly after lunch or by appointment. Call 608-755-3060 to speak with an inspector or to schedule an appointment. Inspectors are not available on weekends.

What is a building services complaint and how do I report a complaint?

Building Services is responsible for addressing complaints from citizens regarding building services (such as working without a building permit or a sign violation). To report a building services’ complaint or concern, first check to see if there is a building permit card in a front window of the building. If a card is present, it is likely that a permit has been issued for the work being done. If a permit card is not present, obtain the address of the building and contact the Building & Development Services Division at 608-755-3060. An inspector will investigate the property to determine if there is a violation and will follow up with the owner or contractor.

What is a Home Occupation Permit and how do I obtain one?

A home occupation permit allows residents of the community an opportunity to use their homes in a limited manner as a place to operate a business which is unobstructive to the neighborhood. To insure that the operations of home occupations do not adversely impact residential areas, criteria and development standards for home occupations have been developed. To view the criteria and related application, which must be submitted prior to starting a home occupation please click here.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer