For up-to-date information about COVID-19, visit 

Police Department FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What number do I call for police service in a non-emergency situation?

  • For emergency situations where immediate police, fire, or medical response is needed call 911.
  • To request police service for a non-emergency situation, call (608)757-2244. The police dispatcher will take the necessary information and send an officer to help you. Some typical non-emergency calls are for noise complaints or barking dogs. If you are not sure if the situation is an emergency, call 911.
  • For general information, call (608)755-3100. Use this number if you have general questions and do not need to see a police officer. Some typical calls for information include questions about parking tickets or accident reports.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

Accident reports are typically ready within one week after the accident. You may obtain copies at the police department for a fee of $.25/page. You will need to tell us the accident date, time and location.
You can obtain incident reports at the police department for a fee of $.25/page. The preparation time varies by type of report, so call the police department at (608)755-3100 to check if the report is ready.

Can I pay my fines or parking tickets at the police department?

Fines for citations can be paid at the Rock County Courthouse, Branch 3. You may pay by cash, check or money order. Checks for traffic tickets should be made payable to "Rock County Clerk of Courts".
Parking tickets may be paid at the Police Department between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. or mailed to the Janesville Police Department at Post Office Box 5005; Janesville, WI 53547-5005. You may pay by cash, check or money order. Checks for parking tickets should be made payable to "City of Janesville".

What is happening with the complaint/incident I filed?

We must do some research to find out who is handling the case. When you call or stop by the police department, you will need to tell us your name, address and phone number, the incident date, location, and if possible the incident number. We will then have an officer or detective contact you.

Can I discharge firearms in the City of Janesville?

The City of Janesville prohibits the discharge of firearms within the city limits.

I would like to use my bike for transportation this summer. How can I stay safe?

Bicycling is a great way to get around Janesville while getting exercise, especially in warm summer months. Cyclists can stay safe by following some basic rules:

  • Always wear an undamaged bicycle helmet.
  • Ride with motor traffic and obey all traffic laws, especially stopping at red lights and stop signs.
  • Make sure your bike is in proper condition—all brakes should work, tires should be properly inflated and handlebars should be snug. Installing mirrors is a great way to increase awareness of your surroundings while looking straight ahead.
  • If you plan to ride at night, install a head light, make sure your bike has reflectors, wear light-colored clothing, and use extra caution while riding.

Practicing good bicycling habits will help ensure you have a safe and enjoyable summer. For questions call (608)755-3077.