For up-to-date information about COVID-19, visit 

Tenant Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

If you are currently a tenant on the Rent Assistance program, the following information will be helpful to you. Although it is not feasible to list all the rules and regulations of the Section 8 Rent Assistance program on this website, we have provided basic information to give you answers to the most frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, please refer to your Orientation Handbook, or contact your Case Manager for specific concerns.

The Wisconsin rental housing industry is an important part of the Wisconsin economy and provides a vital housing option for consumers. It is important to both tenants and landlords that rules ensure transactions are conducted fairly. The Wisconsin Way is a guide for landlords and tenants which provides information you need to be an informed tenant or landlord. To download the state "Wisconsin Way," click here.

Case Managers

The Housing Authority has two case managers who work directly with the clients and the landlords.

Laura Jones works with tenants whose last name begins with A - L. Contact information is 608-373-3442 or

Linda Moses works with tenants whose last name begins with M - Z.  Contact information is 608-755-3068 or

Participating Landlords in the Section 8 Program

Some of the area landlords currently working with the Section 8 program are:

  1. Crown Ridge Apartments - (608) 756-0221
  2. DD&R Johnson * - (608) 757-1255
  3. First Senior Housing * - (608) 741-2308
  4. Parkview Apartments - (608) 756-0121
  5. Janesville Regency House * - (608) 757-2566
  6. Janesville Wall Street Apartments - (608) 752-4887
  7. Jim Arndt - (608) 295-7368
  8. McLay Properties - (608) 756-2926
  9. Michael & Abigail Scieszinski - (608) 436-6881
  10. River Terrace Apartments - (608) 754-6868
  11. Ronda Weber - (608) 201-0072
  12. Village Green East - (608) 756-0078
  13. Wesley Avenue Apartments * - (608) 758-3737
  14. RiverPlace Apartment Homes* - (608) 757-9456

* Indicates housing complex that is reserved for the elderly or disabled.

The Neighborhood and Community Services office maintains a binder at the front counter which lists units that are available. Please see below for a list of units that are currently being advertised.

How is Voucher Size Determined?

Families participating in the Rent Assistance program are assigned a Voucher with a specific number of bedrooms. The number of bedrooms assigned depends on several factors: Number of family members, gender of family members, and age of children. Bedroom size will be issued so that:

  • 2 individuals in a marital type relationship share a bedroom
  • 2 females share a bedroom, regardless of relationship
  • 2 males share a bedroom, regardless of relationship
  • Children less than 5 years of age, 2 children per bedroom, regardless of gender

Annual Paperwork

Each year, in order for an assisted family to continue to receive Section 8 Assistance, each household and it's family members, 18 years of age and older, will be invited to an annual interview with their case manager.  This includes reporting family composition, income and asset information, and if disabled and/or over the age of 62, providing out-of-pocket medical expense information. The paperwork must be completed whether the family continues to live in their current unit or if they wish to move. Tenants will be notified by mail when it is time for their annual review. 


Beginning January 1, 2015, the Janesville Housing Authority will be transitioning from an annual re-inspection of each assisted property to a variation of annual and biennial inspections. Inspections will be scheduled throughout the year on a geographic basis to maximize the efficiency of the inspection process, rather than as part of the assisted household's annual re-evaluation process. If a tenant chooses to move to a new address, an inspection will be done at the new location prior to the move-in. Click here to obtain a copy of the HQS checklist which details the items that will be covered during inspection of a unit. Feel free to use this document for a self-inspection of your unit. Please note that housekeeping issues may also be addressed. The unit must pass inspection in order for us to continue to assist with rent and/or utilities. 

Family Members - Adding New Members

You must obtain written landlord permission to add any additional family members to your household before they move in.

In addition, you must obtain authorization from your Case Manager to add any additional family members to your household before they move in. If the addition would cause an increase in your Voucher size, there are certain conditions that must be met. 

The approval process will consist of the following: 

  • Any potential new members must come into the office in person.
  • New members to the household will need to provide a copy of their Social Security card and complete a Declaration of Citizenship Status .
  • If over 18, the new members will need to sign an authorization for the release of criminal history in order for us to run a criminal background check. The requirements will be the same that we use for all existing adult members. 
  • If over 18, the new members will need to sign documents stating that they will comply with all program rules and provide us with their income and asset information.

Income Changes

Income Change forms can be printed and submitted either mail it or bring it into the office at 18 N. Jackson Street within 10 days of the income decrease. You may also report changes to your case manager via the email addresses listed at the top of this page.

Examples of reportable income decreases:

  • Child Support Payments
  • Spousal Support Payments
  • Social Security 

Reasonable Accommodation

The City of Janesville will make every effort to accommodate a person with disabilities who may need a reasonable accommodation in order to take full advantage of the Section 8 Rent Assistance program. When granting an accommodation, we do not confer special treatment or advantage to a person with a disability; rather, we make the program fully accessible to them in a way that would otherwise not be possible due to their disability.

The Housing Authority will use a broad definition of a person with a disability for the purpose of granting a reasonable accommodation. This definition defines a handicap as a physical, mental or emotional impairment that substantially limits one or more of a person's major life activities; has a record of such impairment; or is regarded as having such an impairment. The following categories are excluded from Fair Housing Act protections: current drug users, people whose alcohol use interferes with the rights of others, a person with any disability whose tenancy poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others unless the threat can be controlled with a reasonable accommodation, and juvenile offenders and sex offenders.

You may request a reasonable accommodation by completing the form here and returning the form to your Case Manager.


No one may live in or visit your household overnight for more than 14 days in any 6 month period. Tenants may not allow others (individuals not on their lease) to use their address for mailing purposes. This will be considered a violation of program rules and may be cause for termination.

Tenants Moving Within Janesville

If you are currently in a 12-month lease, you will not be eligible to move until your lease term is up unless your landlord agrees to release you from your lease and a Mutual Termination of Lease form is filled out and signed by both the tenant and the landlord. Tenants must be in good standing with the Housing Authority, the landlord and the utility companies.  Click here to download a Mutual Termination form.

If you are at the end of your lease term or are in a month-to-month tenancy, you must take the following steps:

- Give your landlord proper written notice, and present a copy of that notice to the Neighborhood and Community Services office. Your Case Manager will then process your request to move by:

  • Performing a criminal background check on all adult household members
  • Verifying that you are current on all rent and utility payments

The approval process takes 3-5 business days. Once you are approved, you will be contacted to visit the Neighborhood and Community Services office to sign and receive your Voucher and Request for Tenancy Approval form, which you will present to the new landlord of your choice. 

We suggest that you begin this process approximately 6 weeks before you wish to move in order for there to be time to search for a unit, and complete the inspection process.

Tenants Moving Outside of Janesville

The Department of Housing and Urban Development, who funds the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program, allows Voucher holders the option of moving and taking their assistance to any location within the continental United States. 

You must have lived within the city limits of Janesville when you applied in order to exercise this option right away. If you did not live within the city limits of Janesville when you applied, you must live within the city limits for the first 12 months of program participation before Portability is an option for your family.

If you are planning on taking your Section 8 Rent Assistance outside the City of Janesville, please complete the Request for Portability form and submit it to your Case Manager as soon as possible.

 Landlord/Tenant Problems

If you have questions concerning landlord/tenant issues, please contact the Department of Justice (1-800-362-8189); or the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (1-800-362-3020).

Fair Housing Complaints

We may be able to help if you feel that you have been discriminated against based upon race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, disability, sex or marital status of the person maintaining a household, lawful source of income, age, sexual orientation, or family status. For assistance in filing a complaint contact Neighborhood & Community Services at 755-3065. 

Additional Information

Please click on the links below to review information that applies to the Section 8 Rent Assistance program.



Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer