For up-to-date information about COVID-19, visit or call the Community Support Hotline: (608) 373-6027.

Landlord Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Information for Landlords

The City of Janesville administers a federally funded (HUD) Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance program designed to assist the elderly, disabled and families of one or more with their monthly rent and utility payments.   Under this program, a monthly rent payment is made to the client's landlord on behalf of his or her household. 

It can be difficult for our clients to find a decent place to rent and, just as difficult at times, for landlords to find good tenants. Most Rent Assistance tenants are no different than any unassisted renter. They are often hard-working people in a low-income job or have special circumstances - they may be going to school, disabled, elderly or have a special needs child and can't find day care. Rent Assistance is looking for landlords who may have a unit(s) to rent.  It can be a house, duplex or apartment. If you would like to advertise your unit, complete an Apartment Opening form, click here, and submit to the City of Janesville Neighborhood and Community Services Department.  We will advertise your unit in a binder in our office and place it on the website under Tenant Information.  Landlords may also consider advertising their unit at  This free resource was created to help people list and find housing.  The site provides information for the general public as well as for housing professionals seeking vital resources for their clients. 

Please be reminded that it is illegal for a landlord to discriminate against a family because of sex, race, color, handicap, religion, national origin, marital status, lawful source of income, age, ancestry, family status or sexual orientation.

The Wisconsin rental housing industry is an important part of the Wisconsin economy and provides a vital housing option for consumers.  It is important to both tenants and landlords that rules ensure transactions are conducted fairly.  To access a copy of the State of Wisconsin's Consumer Protection Landlord Tenant Guide click here.

How the Program Works

Eligible participants in our program will receive a voucher and Request for Lease Approval form to be presented to a prospective landlord.  The landlord must agree to work with Neighborhood & Community Services and complete the Request for Lease Approval form.  The tenant submits the form, along with an unsigned lease, to our office.  An inspection of the unit is then scheduled with the landlord.  Most of the inspection standards are easily met. If the unit is found to be decent, safe and clean, the tenant and landlord will then sign the lease. The first lease must be for at least one year.  To assist you in determining whether your unit will pass inspection, please click here to obtain a copy of the Housing Quality Standards Self-Inspection form.  This form is not all-inclusive and should be used as a guide for review of the unit before a scheduled inspection.  To view a complete copy of the Housing Quality Standards inspection form, please click here.

After the unit passes inspection, and the tenant leases up, we will then begin monthly payment for rent directly to the landlord on the household's behalf. The amount of the rent the client pays can be anywhere from 30% to 40% of the household's monthly income.

Things to be aware of:  The lease is between the landlord and tenant. The Rent Assistance program does not supply the lease.  Landlords are not required to stay within the City of Janesville's "fair market rents". If the unit is affordable, based on the tenant's income and comparable to similar units in Janesville, the tenant may rent the unit after it passes inspection.  Landlords may collect the full security deposit from the tenant. Landlords should not treat Rent Assistance tenants differently than unassisted tenants. Landlords are responsible for enforcing lease terms and must follow state law regarding nonpayment of rent or any other violation of the lease.  The Rent Assistance program does not reimburse for damages or unpaid rent by the tenant. Landlords must collect for damages from the tenant directly.

For a more comprehensive look at how the Rent Assistance program works, please click Landlord Handbook - Section 8 Rent Assistance.  A copy of the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract can be viewed by clicking HAP Contract - Section 8.

Applying to be a Section 8 Landlord

To apply to be a landlord with the Rent Assistance program, fill out the Landlord Application - Section 8 Rent Assistance and submit it to our office located at 18 N. Jackson Street (corner of Jackson & Wall Streets).  If you enter the building using the Wall Street entrance, we are the first office on the right as you enter the building.  You may advertise your unit in the binder located on the office counter.  Click here for an Apartment Opening form.  Tenants frequently check the binder for prospective units to rent. If you prefer, fax us your advertisement at 608-755-3207, and we will place it in the binder and advertise it on the Tenant Information portion of this website as well.   We welcome the opportunity to partner with you through the Section 8 Rent Assistance program.   

If you are currently a Rent Assistance landlord and need to report a Change of Property Ownership and/or Management, click Change of Property Ownership/Management to download a change form.

If you have additional questions, please contact Neighborhood and Community Services at 755-3065 for more information about participating in the Rent Assistance program.

Case Managers

The Housing Authority has two case managers who work directly with the clients and the landlords.

Laura Jones works with tenants whose last name begins with A-L .Contact information is 608-373-3442 or

Linda Moses works with tenants whose last name begins with M-Z.  Contact information is 608-755-3068 or

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer