Rent Assistance (Section 8)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Rent Assistance (Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program)

The City of Janesville administers a Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance Program to assist low income individuals with their monthly rent and utility payments. Rent assistance is available for the elderly, disabled, and families of one or more. Total household income must be at or below 50% of county median income (see below). Participants pay 30%-40% of their adjusted monthly income towards rent and utilities. The City of Janesville uses a local ranking preference.  Applicants who live and/or work within the Janesville city limits will receive preference over persons who do not.  To view the Section 8 Rent Assistance Administrative Plan, click here. To view the Rent Assistance 5 Year and Annual Plan, click here.

Who is Eligible to Apply for Rent Assistance?

Households must have a low income and must be a citizen of the United States or a noncitizen who has eligible immigration status. The chart below indicates the highest income a household can earn to be eligible by household size.

Family Size      Income
          1              $23,950 
          2              $27,400
          3             $30,800
          4             $34,200 
          5             $36,950
          6             $39.700
          7             $42,450
          8             $45,150

How Do I Apply for Rent Assistance?

The Rent Assistance Wait List is currently closed. Our offices will be accepting applications until close of business on June 28th. You may contact the 24 hour information line at 755-3127 for the most up-to-date information regarding the wait list. Applicants will be contacted by mail when their name comes to the top of the wait list and will be requested to provide additional information about income, assets and expenses. If you move while you are waiting for assistance, it is your responsibility to update your address with our office (see below).  If we are unable to reach you at your mailing address, your name will be removed from the wait list.

Already on the Wait List -
Do You Need to Report a Change of Address or Employment?

It is your responsibility to notify us immediately when you have any change of address. Changes in employment only need to be reported if you were not living or working in the City of Janesville at the time of initial application and you now are currently employed in Janesville.Click here on the Wait List Change form to report a change of address and/or employment that now gives you a local preference. When your name comes to the top of our wait list, we will contact you via mail. If your letter cannot be delivered or is returned to our office, your application will be removed from our wait list and you will need to reapply.

Please Note: If you did not have a local preference when you initially applied for Rent Assistance, please provide proof of address change and/or proof of City of Janesville employment within 14 days of submitting the Wait List Change form. Acceptable documentation includes, but is not limited to a current (no older than 60 days): driver’s license, State or Federal identification card, lease, utility bill, social security statement or check stub. You may submit your proof in person at City Hall, Neighborhood & Community Services, 18 N Jackson Street in Janesville or via fax at 608-755-3207. Failure to provide proof will result in your name remaining on the wait list without a local preference.

What Happens When I am Determined to be Eligible for the Program?

If your household is determined to be eligible, we will schedule an orientation meeting where we will explain the rules and regulations of the program. You will receive a Housing Choice Voucher. When you receive the voucher, you will decide where you would like to live (you may stay in your current unit or move to a new unit). The rental unit you choose must be decent, safe and clean to qualify for assistance. After you decide where you want to live, the landlord must agree to work with the Rent Assistance Program. If the landlord agrees, you will ask the landlord to complete a Request for Lease Approval form and return it to our office, along with an unsigned lease. Your case manager will then contact the landlord to schedule a property inspection. If the unit passes inspection, you will be approved to sign a lease with the landlord. Do not sign a lease before the unit passes this inspection. The first lease must be for one year. A monthly payment will be made directly to the landlord on behalf of your household.

Emergency Rent Assistance 

If you are currently homeless or in need of emergency assistance, help may be available through ECHO at 754-5333, House of Mercy at 754-0045, or GIFTS Men's Shelter at 728-4941.

Other Housing

There are some private rental housing units that offer assistance for low income individuals in Janesville. Please contact them directly:

Grant Village; 2007 King Street; Janesville; (608) 755-1755
Hamilton Terrace; 1400 Hamilton Avenue; Janesville; (608) 757-2892
Janesville Commons; 3720 LaMancha Drive; Janesville; (608) 754-3178
Lexington Court; 2633 North Lexington Drive; Janesville; (920) 568-8862

If you are elderly (age 65 or older) or disabled, you may also want to consider:

Burbank Plaza Apartments; 1112 Burbank Avenue; Janesville; (608) 754-4040
Garden Court; 208 N Main Street; Janesville; (608) 755-1755
Green Forest Run I Apartments; 1639 Green Forest Run; Janesville; (414) 228-1122
Riverview Heights; 930 N Washington; Janesville; (608) 752-5999

Public Housing

The City of Janesville does not own any public housing.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer