Are you interested in purchasing a home? The Home Buyer Workshop may be a place to start. We offer free, eight-hour classes several times per year that will educate you on what you need to know to purchase a new home. Topics include establishing good credit, developing a household budget, deciding how much house you can afford, learning what to look for in a home, negotiating the best price, identifying needed repairs, the loan process, and information on the down payment assistance programs currently available. See below for the 2018 Home Buyer Workshop schedule.
Special home financing is available
You may qualify for special financing that will make it easier to buy your home. Please keep in mind that, while our sessions are conducted in a classroom setting, there are no tests to pass or grades to achieve. Your goal is to own your own home, and that is our goal for every attendee of the Home Buyer's Workshop. You will learn about special loan and/or grant programs available in your community. Up to $6,000 is available for down payment and closing cost assistance to income eligible first-time home buyers in Janesville.
Be in control of your household budget
One measure of a good credit rating is the ability to manage a household budget by planning for and paying fixed expenses on time, while having cash reserves to meet unexpected expenses.
Find out how much home you can afford on your current income
As the largest fixed expense you will probably have, your mortgage payment will be the cornerstone of your budget. We'll help you determine the payment amount that makes the most sense for you.
Find the best home for your price range - whatever that range may be
Affordability isn't the only issue to consider when home shopping. Quality is just as important -- Quality of the home structure itself, quality of the neighborhood and the quality of life you can expect to enjoy there.
Negotiate the best price for your new home
Because the price of your home will affect your budget and lifestyle for many years, we will show you how to negotiate the best price possible.
All classes are held on Saturday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Below is the schedule for 2020.
- Saturday, February 22, 2020 at Associated Bank, 2720 Lexington Dr., Janesville WI 53545
- Saturday, March 21, 2020 at NWBR,520 w Grand Ave, Beloit WI 53511
- Saturday, April 4, 2020 at Johnson Bank 1 South Main St, Janesville, WI 53545
- Saturday, May 16, 2020 at the Beloit Library 605 Eclipse Blvd, Beloit WI 53511
- Saturday,June 13, 2020 at the Hedberg Public Library 316 S. Main St., Janesville WI 53545
- Saturday,July 11, 2020 at the Beloit Library 605 Eclipse Blvd, Beloit WI 53511
- Saturday, August 15, 2020 at Blackhawk Community CU, 2707 Kennedy Rd Janesville, WI 53548
- Saturday, September 19, 2020 at Blackhawk Bank, 2525 Milton Ave, Janesville, WI 53547
- Saturday, October 17, 2020 at NWBR,520 w Grand Ave, Beloit WI 53511
- Saturday November 7, 2020 at the Hedberg Public Library 316 S. Main St., Janesville WI 53545
Register Early - Space is limited
To register, Contact Neighborworks at 608-362-9051 and ask for Extension 20. Locations for each class are subject to change. Neighborworks will be able to provide you with the location for the class you wish to attend.
These FREE Workshops are Sponsored by
- Anchor Bank
- Associated Bank
- Blackhawk Bank
- Blackhawk Community Credit Union
- BMO Harris
- City of Janesville Neighborhood & Community Services
- Inlanta Mortgage
- Johnson Bank
- Rock County