The Citizens Board of Review is a board of five City residents who annually hold a formal public hearing to review property owners' objections regarding property assessments. The board listens to testimony from the Assessor's Office and the property owner to determine if adjustments to property assessments are appropriate.
Desirable Characteristics and Qualifications for Committee Members (per staff liaison)
- Ability to attend state-mandated training prior to working on the Board of Review.
- Ability to understand complex mathematical equations.
- Ability to meet for up to eight hours a day, including nights and weekends.
- Willingness to recognize conflicts of interest and recuse oneself from the proceedings.
- Knowledge of local real estate market.
- Understanding of the statutes that govern the Board of Review following training.
- Applicants from real estate, mortgage banking, developing, and property management fields are desirable.
|Number of Members||5 Citizen Members|
Eileen Contreras, Alternate #1
Nicole Pecku, Alternate #2
|Term of Office||5 years|
|Commencement of Term||First Monday of May each year
|Appointment by Whom||
|Approval or Confirmation by||Common Council|
|Residency Requirements of Citizen Members||Charter Ordinance Chapter 2.20 requires residency of members.|
|Duties and Responsibilities||WI State Statute Section 70.47. To hear appeals of individual taxpayers on their assessments.|
|To What Authority Do They Report||Highest Authority|
|When Meetings are Held||As required by WI State Statute Section 70.47 during the 30 day period beginning on the 2nd Monday in May|
|Who Calls Meetings||City Clerk|
|Responsibility for Minutes||City Clerk
|Location of Filed Minutes||Clerk-Treasurer's Office