For up-to-date information about COVID-19, visit or call the Community Support Hotline: (608) 373-6027.

Submit a Claim

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Instructions For Filing a Claim Against the City of Janesville:

To file a state-law claim against the City of Janesville for damages, a claimant must comply with Section 893.80(1) of the Wisconsin State Statutes, which describes claims against governmental bodies, officers, and employees.  A full copy of the statute may be accessed by clicking here. Generally the statute requires the claimant to file a document stating the circumstances of the claim with the City Clerk-Treasurer’s Office. The document must be signed by the claimant or his/her agent or attorney, and must be filed within 120 days of the event.

The City of Janesville allows the use of a City of Janesville claim form. Please click here to access the City of Janesville's claim form. The claimant must present to the City of Janesville the completed and signed claim form or a similar signed written document stating the address of the claimant, a statement of what happened, the relief sought, and any other pertinent information. If money damages are sought, a specific sum must be stated and all damages must be specifically itemized. (The above information may be combined into a single document.)

Submitting the following additional information will allow the City of Janesville to act on your claim more promptly:

  1. Proof of the amount of the claim by means of either itemized receipts, bills, and invoices that were paid, or two itemized repair estimates if the claimed damage is to a motor vehicle
  2. A phone number at which the claimant can be reached during business hours
  3. A description of the incident with as much detail as possible, including the date, time, and location

The claim form and all information should be submitted in person or by mail to the address on the City's claim form:

City Attorney’s Office
Attn: Claims
18 North Jackson Street
P.O. Box 5005
Janesville, WI 53547-5005

Please contact the Janesville City Attorney's Office at 755-3155 with any questions.


Additional Information:

Before you can file a lawsuit against the City of Janesville for reimbursement, State law requires that you first follow the claim procedures established by the City Clerk-Treasurer’s Office. The City of Janesville does not pay all claims. The City of Janesville is NOT liable for all claims filed or damages sustained. Many claims are barred by law or because of certain facts. Filing the City's claim form does not mean that your claim will necessarily be paid and accepting the claim form does not acknowledge any liability by the City of Janesville.

The City examines each claim submitted on an individual basis to determine if reimbursement is legally required. In order to obtain reimbursement for a claim against the City, you must prove that the City of Janesville or its employees acted unlawfully or negligently.

Claims under $5,000.00 are reviewed and paid or denied administratively. Claims over $5,000.00 must be reviewed administratively and then paid or denied by the Common Council. You may always seek the advice, help, and representation of an attorney-at-law of your choice concerning your claim, solely at your own cost and expense. The claim instructions and information provided on this webpage does not constitute legal advice.