The sanitary landfill is located at 525 Black Bridge Road between Highway 51 and Milton Avenue, and serves all City of Janesville and Rock County residents and is owned and operated by the City of Janesville. Service is available for all residential, commercial, demolition and industrial waste generators in Rock County. The City has been operating disposal facilities in this location since the 1950s.
The landfill is designed with a four-foot compacted clay liner and a plastic liner to protect against groundwater contamination. Groundwater-monitoring wells and methane gas probes are installed to monitor and minimize any impact to the surrounding environment. Methane gas produced in the landfill is collected in a gas collection system and used to generate electricity at an on site power plant.
Sanitary Landfill Hours
|| 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
|Tuesday - Friday
|| 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
|| 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Closed on Sundays, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- All vehicles hauling refuse to the sanitary and demolition landfills must be fully enclosed or have wastes covered with a tarpaulin.
- The City reserves the right to refuse any load of waste.
- The following items are banned from disposal in the sanitary landfill:
- The following may be taken to special collection areas at the sanitary landfill for recycling:
- Vehicle Batteries
- Motor Oil
- Metal Items
- Disposal of special wastes such as asbestos, barrels, contaminated soil, and industrial process waste must have approval prior to deposit at the sanitary landfill. Call the City's Solid Waste Manager at the City Service Center (755-3110) for information.
Deer Disposal Policy
The City of Janesville Sanitary Landfill will accept deer carcasses for disposal during the deer hunting season. Only Rock County residents are allowed to dispose of deer. Deer carcasses must be disposed of separate from regular waste, and will not be accepted if co-mingled with other waste.
Residents who process deer themselves are required to dispose of deer carcasses and remains at the City’s Sanitary landfill; processed carcasses placed at the curb with regular trash will not be collected by City crews.
Deer carcasses will be accepted at the landfill during the following times:
- September – December: Weekdays between the hours of 8:00 am and 2:00 pm and Saturdays between the hours of 8:00 am and 12:00 pm.
- January – February: Saturday’s between the hours of 8:00 am and 12:00 pm.
For questions, or for processors, taxidermists and/or commercial waste haulers wishing to dispose of deer, please contact the City's Solid Waste Manager at 608-755-3110.
Disposal fees charged will be the greater of $35.00 per ton or the following minimum fee shown below (minimum fees are not based on weight or volume of waste). Effective January 10, 2012.
|60 gallons of waste or less, in any vehicle (Janesville residents only)
|Station wagons, mini-vans, and sport/utility vehicles
|Vans, mid-size pickup trucks and trailers with a capacity of two cubic yards or less
|Full-size pickup trucks and trailers with a capacity of more than two cubic yards
|All other vehicles and trailers, including those which have been modified to increase capacity beyond standard capacity
Commercial Hauler License Fee
All commercial haulers wishing to use the sanitary landfill must purchase an annual license from the City costing $50 for the first vehicle and $25 for each additional vehicle. This license must be purchased on or before June 30 of each year. Commercial haulers must license every truck used to haul waste to the landfill.
Upon payment of a $30 processing fee, persons may apply for a credit account with the City. There will be a minimum charge of $25 for every month a person uses their charge account, regardless of the amount charged. If a person does not use their account in a given month, no fee will be charged for that month.