Skip to page body Home About Janesville City Government Departments & Services Residents Businesses Visitors I Want To…

The City of Janesville administers a Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance Program. This program is designed to assist low income individuals with their monthly rent and utility payments. Rent assistance is available for the elderly, disabled, and families of one or more. Total household income must be at or below 50% of county median income (see below). Participants in the program pay 30%-40% of their adjusted monthly income towards rent and utilities. The City of Janesville Neighborhood and Community Services Rent Assistance program uses a local ranking preference.  Applicants who live and/or work within the Janesville city limits will receive preference over persons who do not live and/or work within the Janesville city limits.  To view the Section 8 Rent Assistance Administrative Plan, click here.  To view the Rent Assistance 5 Year and Annual Plan, click here.

Who is Eligible to Apply for Rent Assistance?

In order to be eligible to apply, a family must have a low income and must be a citizen of the United States or a noncitizen who has eligible immigration status. The income limit depends on how large your household is. The chart below indicates the highest income a household can earn to be eligible by household size.

Family Size      Income
          1             $ 21,350 
          2                24,400 
          3                27,450 
          4                30,500 
          5                32,950 
          6                35,400 
          7                37,850 
          8                40,300

How Do I Apply for Rent Assistance?

We are not accepting applications at this time.  When the wait list reopens, please be aware of the following:

The City of Janesville grants preference to individuals who live or work within the City of Janesville.  In order to receive local preference, you must bring current proof of local residency and/or employment.  This could include:  a driver's license, State or Federal ID card, lease, utility bill, social security statement or check stub.

If you or anyone in your family is a person with disabilities and you require specific accommodation in order to fully utilize our program, or if you desire an application be sent to you through the mail as a reasonable accommodation, please call our office at 755-3065.  Please note that our wait list is currently closed.  We can only  grant a reasonable accommodation request when the wait list is open. 

After you complete the application, your name will be placed on a waiting list. You may contact the 24 hour information line at 755-3127 for the most up-to-date information regarding the waiting list.

When your name comes to the top of the list, you will be contacted by mail and will be requested to provide additional information about your income, assets and expenses. A criminal history review will be completed at this time. If you move while you are waiting for assistance, you must contact the Neighborhood and Community Services Department to give your new address. It is your responsibility to notify us of your current mailing address. If we are unable to reach you at your mailing address, your name will be removed from the waiting list.

Already on the Wait List……………….
Do You Need to Report a Change of Address or Employment?

The City of Janesville Neighborhood and Community Services Rent Assistance program has a local ranking preference. Applicants who live/and or work within the Janesville city limits will receive preference over persons who do not live and/or work within the Janesville city limits.

It is your responsibility to notify us immediately when you have any change of address. Changes in employment only need to be reported if you were not living or working in the City of Janesville at the time of initial application and you now are currently employed within the city of Janesville.

Click here to report a change of address and/or employment that now gives you a local preference. When your name comes to the top of our waiting list, we will contact you via mail. If your letter cannot be delivered or is returned to our office, your application will be removed from our wait list and you will need to reapply.

Please Note: If you did not have a local preference when you initially applied for Rent Assistance, please provide proof of address change and/or proof of City of Janesville employment within 14 days of submitting the Wait List Change form. Acceptable documentation includes, but is not limited to a current (no older than 60 days): driver’s license, State or Federal identification card, lease, utility bill, social security statement or check stub. You may submit your proof in person at the address above or via fax or email as noted at the top of this page. Failure to provide proof will result in your name remaining on the wait list without a local preference.

What Happens When I am Determined to be Eligible for the Program?

If your household is determined to be eligible, we will schedule an orientation meeting. At this meeting, we will explain the rules and regulations of the program. You will receive a Housing Choice Voucher. When you receive the voucher, you will decide where you would like to live (you may stay in your current unit or move to a new unit). The rental unit you choose must be decent, safe and clean to qualify for assistance.

After you decide where you want to live, the landlord must agree to work with the Rent Assistance Program. If the landlord agrees, you will ask the landlord to complete a Request for Lease Approval form and return it to the Neighborhood and Community Services Department. 

Your case manager will then contact the landlord to schedule a property inspection to make sure that the unit is decent, safe and clean. If it is, you will be approved to sign a lease with the landlord. Do not sign a lease before the unit passes this inspection. The first lease must be for one year.

A monthly payment will be made directly to the landlord on behalf of your household.

Emergency Rent Assistance

The City of Janesville does not have funds available for emergency rent assistance. If you are currently homeless or in need of emergency assistance, you may wish to contact ECHO at 754-5333 or House of Mercy at 754-0045.  Assistance may be available through these agencies.

Other Housing

There are some additional private rental housing units that offer assistance for low income individuals in Janesville. They each have their own admission rules. We would encourage you to contact them directly as we are unaware of their waiting lists and vacancies. Their contact information is as follows:

Grant Village; 2007 King Street; Janesville; 755-1755
Hamilton Terrace; 1400 Hamilton Avenue; Janesville; 757-2892
Janesville Commons; 3720 LaMancha Drive; Janesville; 754-3178
Lexington Townhomes; 2633 North Lexington Drive; Janesville; (920) 568-8862

If you are elderly (age 65 or older) or disabled, you may also want to consider:

Burbank Plaza Apartments; 1112 Burbank Avenue; Janesville; 754-4040
Garden Court; 208 N Main Street; Janesville; 755-1755
Green Forest Run I Apartments; 1639 Green Forest Run; Janesville; (414) 228-1122
Riverview Heights; 930 N Washington; Janesville; 752-5999

Public Housing

The City of Janesville does not own any public housing.


Last updated: 2/4/2015 11:18:00 AM