The Police and Fire Commission consists of five citizens who are responsible for hiring Police and Fire chiefs, and approval of their subordinate appointments. They also review charges against and may discipline or dismiss the Police or Fire Chief or any subordinate.
Desirable Characteristics and Qualifications for Committee Members (per staff liaison)
- Understanding of modern management practices and principles.
- Understanding of modern human resources practices and principles.
- Understanding of the needs of municipal public safety.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to analyze problems and apply sound judgement in developing solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships.
- Strong ethics base built upon integrity, honesty, and respect.
|Number of Members||5 Citizen Members|
|Term of Office||5 years|
|Commencement of Term||First Monday of May each year|
|Appointment by Whom||City Manager|
|Approval or Confirmation by||No confirmation|
|Residency Requirements of Citizen Members||Council Policy 86 requires residency of members.|
|Duties and Responsibilities||WI State Statute 62.13 and Janesville General Ordinance 2.44.010. Decide appointments, promotions, and disciplinary matters in Police and Fire Departments.|
|To What Authority Do They Report||Highest Authority|
|When Meetings are Held||As business may require|
|Who Calls Meetings||Chairperson|
|Responsibility for Minutes||Police and Fire Commission Secretary|
|CUSTODIAN OF MINUTES||Human Resources Director|
|Location of Filed Minutes||Human Resources Office|