- View other Commissions, Boards and Committees
- Volunteer for this committee
- View committee agenda materials
- View Historic Commission Brochures & Applications
- Link to Wisconsin State Historical Society
Desirable Characteristics and Qualifications for Committee Members (per staff liaison)
- Understanding of the purpose and benefits of historic preservation.
- Working knowledge of Janesville’s history and specifically its historic neighborhoods.
- Ability to present information and articulate findings.
- Capacity to interpret and reference standards, ordinances, and statutes.
- Experience with construction methods and materials, particularly in the area of historic rehabilitation.
- Familiarity with historic architectural styles.
|Number of Members||7 Citizen Members|
|Term of Office||3 years|
|Commencement of Term||First Monday of May each year
|Appointment by Whom||
The Council President will take into consideration the recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Appointments when appointing
|Approval or Confirmation by||Common Council|
|Residency Requirements of Citizen Members||Council Policy 86 indicates preference for residents, non-residents that own a business in Janesville or non-residents that own property in Janesville, but non-residents may be appointed. In addition, no more than 30% of the committee's membership may be non-residents.|
|Duties and Responsibilities||Refer Zoning Code (City Ord. Chapter 18) Historic Overlay District 18.36.070. Advise City Manager and City Council on historic matters.|
|To What Authority Do They Report||Through City Manager to City Council|
|When Meetings are Held||As business may require (usually first and third Monday each month)|
|Who Calls Meetings||Chairperson|
|Responsibility for Minutes||Secretary of Commission
|Location of Filed Minutes||Planning Division