Police Department Recruitment
If you are interested in joining the Janesville Police Department, please call us at (608)755-3133. We will send you a pre-employment interest card to complete and return. You may also stop by the Human Resources Division to pick up a card. Your name will then be kept on file until the next recruitment.
Watch We are JPD!
The Janesville Police Department is dedicated to fostering a spirit of cooperation and mutual trust within the community, and is committed to finding new ways to create an atmosphere of safety by:
- Enforcing the law and preserving the peace,
- Educating and being open to learning,
- Working with the community to solve current and future problems and,
- Openly communicating with our partners.
Our mission is designed to promote an improved standard of living in the City of Janesville.
The City of Janesville was incorporated in 1853. At that time Janesville was becoming an established industrial city. Janesville was then protected by a constabulary which consisted of an elected marshal and one elected constable from each of the five wards. The first Police Chief was appointed on January 11, 1897. Since that time Janesville has continued to grow and prosper. The Janesville Police Department has progressively grown in an effort to keep pace with the city it serves.
Minimum Qualifications for Entry Level Police Officers
- No felony convictions
- U.S. Citizen
- Valid Driver's License with a good driving record
- At least 18 years of age
- Completed 2 year associate degree program or have completed 60 credits from an accredited college
- Meet the requirements of the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Standards Board
- Written Examination
- Physical Ability Test
- Oral Interview
- Background Investigation
- Interview with the Police Chief
- PFC Interview
- Medical Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Bicycle Patrol
- Field Training Officer
- Range Officer
- K- 9 Officer
- Street Crimes Unit
- Court Liaison Officer
- School Officer
- Identification Officer
- Deputy Chief
- 5-2/5-3 Work Schedule
- Group Health, Dental, and Life Insurance
- 100% Uniform Costs Paid
- Uniform Cleaning and Footwear Allowance
- 10-25 Paid Vacation Days per Year
- Cumulative Paid Sick Leave
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Tuition Reimbursement for Advanced Education
- Wisconsin Retirement System
- Is it legal?
- Is it ethical?
- Is it the right thing for the community?
- Is it the right thing for the Janesville Police Department?
- Is it consistent with our mission and beliefs statements and the values they represent?
- Is it something for which you can be proud?
- Are you willing to take responsibility for it?
- If the answer to all of these questions is yes - then don't ask permission. JUST DO IT!
The City of Janesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.