The Janesville Police Department would like to remind you to buckle up and that your children are always safest in the backseat. The law as it relates to child passenger safety is below.
Rear facing child seat in the back seat is required when the child:
- is less than 1 year old
- weighs less than 20 lbs.
- is at least 1 year old, but less than 4 years old
- weighs at least 20 lbs., but less than 40 lbs.
- is at least 4 years old, but less than 8 years old
- weighs at least 40 lbs., but less than 80 lbs.
- is less than 57 inches (4 feet, 9 inches) tall.
- is 8 years old or older, or
- weighs 80 or more pounds, or
- is 57 inches or taller.
Under the law, drivers may be cited for allowing passengers of any age to be unbelted in their vehicle.
Child Safety Seat Inspection Program
Each month the Janesville Fire Department holds a free car seat installation and inspection event. During the event, several technicians from the Janesville Fire and Police Departments inspect, instruct, and correct improperly installed child safety seats. If a safety seat is found to be unsafe during an inspection, parents may conveniently purchase a new, low-cost safety seat from the Fire Department. Inspections take approximately 30 minutes. Appointments are recommended for these free events. To make an appointment for an upcoming event, please contact the Car Seat Safety Hotline at (608) 921-3786.