Every 60 minutes, a pedestrian is killed in a traffic accident. Every nine minutes, a pedestrian is injured.
Take these steps to help yourself stay safe when riding public transportation and walking in Janesville:
- Never run to catch a bus; you could fall.
- Don't walk between buses; always wait for the bus to move away from the curb before trying to cross the street.
- Use a marked crosswalk to cross streets whenever possible.
- Responsibility for safety is shared to ensure the way is clear; don't assume the driver will stop.
- Watch for cars backing out of parking spaces.
- When wearing earphones or talking on your phone, stay aware of your surroundings.
- Be extra careful in inclement weather; sidewalks and streets could be slick from rain, ice or snow.
portion of this text provided by Washington D.C Metro organization