FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEMS, FIRE ALARMS, & DETECTORS
- All work, including the alteration or addition of devices or components, associated with fire suppression systems, fire alarm systems, detectors, kitchen hood suppression systems and other life safety systems or components requires a fire protection permit through the Janesville Fire Department.
- Any new fire sprinkler or fire alarm system and the addition or alteration of twenty-one or more sprinkler heads or alarm devices requires plan review through the state of Wisconsin. Occupancies governed by the Department of Health and Safety are subject to review through that agency as well.
- The alteration or addition of twenty or fewer sprinkler heads to an existing automatic sprinkler system or twenty or fewer devices to an existing fire alarm system requires local plan review through the Janesville Fire Department.
- All new systems, devices, components and certain alterations to systems must be acceptance tested and the test shall be witnessed by a Janesville Fire Department representative. Call the Janesville Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau at 608-755-3056 to schedule testing.
- Conditional approval of a submitted plan shall not be deemed or construed to be an approval of any violation of any applicable codes.
- Fees for plan review and testing are established in the City of Janesville General Ordinances, 15.01.140 and include but are not limited to:
- Minimum permit fee $60.00
- Plan review $0.01/sq. ft. ($50.00 minimum)
- Testing fee $2.00/device ($50.00 minimum)
- Commercial kitchen hood, suppression $120.00
- Maximum total fees $5,000.00
- Re-inspection fee $100.00
- Plan Review $10.00/unit
- Testing $10.00/unit
- Combined review & testing $50.00 minimum
- Failure to obtain a permit prior to commencement of work will result in a penalty of $100 or double the permit fee, whichever is greater, but in no event shall the penalty exceed $2,000. Such penalty shall be paid in addition to the customary permit fee.
For more information, please contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at (608) 755-3056.