Town Square Gran Prix Coming to Janesville
The City of Janesville is pleased to partner with the Janesville Velo Club as it hosts the first ever Town Square Gran Prix in downtown Janesville as part of the 10th Annual Tour of America’s Dairyland Bike Race. The event takes place all day on Tuesday, June 26.
Racers will enjoy a course that not only showcases Janesville’s architecture, but also gives a glimpse of our downtown’s renaissance through the ARISE project. Spectators will experience live music throughout the day at Voigt Music on Main Street. Downtown restaurants and pubs will have plenty of food and drink specials to satisfy every appetite. Families can enjoy a kid’s area focused on healthy and interactive fun. The Rock River runs along the race site and plans include water sports on the river throughout the day including Stand Up Paddleboard and rowing demonstrations.
For information about the race, visit: www.tourofamericasdairyland.com/host/janesville/
Several downtown streets will be closed to vehicular traffic beginning at 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM on Tuesday, June 26. All streets will remain open for pedestrians to access the downtown area and to watch the race. There will be designated crosswalks for pedestrians to access the businesses and destinations that are located on the inside of the bike route. The streets that will be closed include the following:
- W. Milwaukee St. – from N. Jackson St. to Parker Place
- Dodge St. – from S. High St. to the east end at Rock River
- W. Court St. – from S. High St. to Parker Place
- S. Jackson St. – from McKinley St. to W. Milwaukee St.
- S. Franklin St. – from McKinley St. to W. Wall St.
- S. River St. – from McKinley St. to W. Wall St.
- S. Water St. – from E. Court St. to E. Milwaukee St.
- S. Main St. – from St. Lawrence Ave. to E. Wall St.
- N. Parker Dr. – from E. Court St. to E. Wall St.
A detailed map of the race course includes the street closure limits and the pedestrian crosswalk locations along the course.
Posted detours will be provided for Milwaukee St., Court St., Jackson St., and Main St. Through traffic is encouraged to follow the posted detour, or seek alternate routes altogether, to avoid congestion within the downtown area.
The Janesville Police Department also wishes to remind citizens and visitors that there will be no parking on the course itself, and residents and businesses must have their vehicles moved by the end of the business day on the Monday before. There will be no parking signs posted around 5:00 p.m. on June 25.
For more information about road closures, please email Senior Engineer Ahna Bizjak at email@example.com or call (608) 755-3171.
JTS Routes Affected by Town Square Gran Prix
Milton Ave, W. Court, E. Milwaukee, BJE County Loop, & Nightside Milton routes will use the following detour:
- Outbound: west on McKinley, north on Academy, east on Centerway
- Milton Ave & Nightside Milton resume the regular route at Centerway & Milton
- W. Court resumes the regular route at Centerway & Franklin
- BJE County Loop resumes the regular route at Centerway & Parker
- E. Milwaukee will resume the regular route at Court & Ringold
For the inbound portion of the trips, each route will use the same detour in reverse order.
This special event will close bus stops between Centerway and the Transfer Center; all stops on Main Street; and all stop on Court Street west of Centerway. A temporary bus stop will be available at Centerway & Main Street for riders wishing to board or exit along the Milton Avenue, Nightside Milton and E. Milwaukee Street routes.
Riders wishing to board or exit at the Garden Court Apartments shall use the intersection of Centerway & Main. Riders wishing to board or exit at the Rock County Courthouse shall ride to the Transfer Center and inform the driver. Arrangements will then be made to get the rider close to this destination.
Wright Rd. and Nightside East will use the following detour:
- Outbound: south on River, east on Racine
- Both routes will resume the regular route at Racine & Main
On the inbound portion of the trips, each route will use the same detour in reverse order. This special event will close downtown bus stops on Court and Main (north of Racine).
There will be no service to Hedberg Public Library on June 26; riders shall walk to the intersection of Main and Racine Streets. Individuals wishing to travel to destinations along the Wright Road Route may be picked up at the southwest corner of Main and Racine at: 15 or: 45 after the hour. Individuals wishing to travel to the Transfer Center may be picked up at the northeast corner of Main and Racine at: 05 or: 35 after the hour.
Nightside West will use the following detour:
- Inbound: the route will follow the regular route until Jackson & Centerway; west on Centerway, south on Academy, east on McKinley
This special event will close all bus stops on Main and Milwaukee Street in downtown Janesville. JTS thanks its customers for their flexibility during this special event. For questions, please call JTS at (608) 755-3150.